Sentence The Fivehundredth
And seated at an outdoor table of the street Café, Pan and Gertie quickly relaxed, almost – but not quite – forgetting that they were in the German capital and happily discussed the passers-by, inventing back-stories, assignations, and playing an impromptu form of Consequences! which caused
them considerable hilarity; just then a stuffed shirt paused by their table, turned and spoke to them: “young ladies, why, I had heard you were around here, allow me to introduce myself – Jaimie Farringdon, I work at The Embassy,” and he handed them each an embossed card, bearing the legend: Special Attaché to His Brittanic Majesty's Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary and pulling up a chair sat facing them; with a fluffy little dust bunny of a moustache, slicked down blonde hair and the mannerisms of an aesthete, he called a waiter and asked for a bottle of wine the girls did not know: “I'm something of an oenophile,” he explained, “my people own vineyards in France, Italy and Germany; we're all a bit concerned lest peradventure the government back home gets too stroppy with Herr Adolf and pushes him into a corner – I mean, we all know how we'd feel if someone did it to us, don't we? but here's me talking politics, which I'm sure you girls wouldn't want to be troubling your pretty heads with, so let me guess: well, I know you,” he said indicating Palestrina, are Miss
MacFarlane, because I met your brother in London – I understand he's away down in the Holy Land again, doesn't he ever get bored with all that sand?” and Pal simply shot him a look which would have turned more sensitive men to stone, but was quite oblivious to Jaimie Farringdon, and he turned towards Gertie: “and therefore, you must be Miss Mountcastle,” to which she bowed her head in acknowledgement, and shook his hand; at which he leaned in closer and said: “I have been invited to attend Herr Himmler's birthday celebration, he's the top dog in this militia-thing they call the SS, and I have it on very good authority that there will be a table spread with cakes and desserts, so if you just let me settle your bill here and we can be off – it's only a five minute walk and should be rather fun,” so, as Jaimie went in search of the waiter, the girls opened their compacts and began powdering their noses and Pal said to her friend: “this could be just the introduction I've been hoping for, Gertie, so stick to me like a limpet and keep your eyes and ears alert for any snippets – but make sure you don't say a word of my mession to Mr Farringdon, or anyone else from the Embassy, let them come to us, as Lady Meyrick Henderson undoubtedly will,“ and with that he bagan to settle the account!

Comments

Popular Posts